Chief Finance & Operations Officer
Title of Position: Chief Finance & Operations Officer
Summary: Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Finance and Operations Officer focuses on maintaining efficient and effective financial and operating systems and processes, high service levels and accountability across its core business functions, while continuously seeking to improve resource utilization. The individual has senior managerial responsibility for financial management, operations, administrative HR and information technology, and property management. The incumbent is a key member of the Leadership Management team, providing support and ensuring effective operation of NPPC activities to achieve overall goals.
- Financial Management: Oversee the work of the finance function as a whole to ensure compliance with regulatory and funders requirements; efficient and effective management of the finance function; accuracy and reliability of financial information; and the overall management of funding and expenditures
- Leadership and Talent Management: Contributes to the Leadership Management Team’s efforts to promote an organizational culture of collaboration, open and frequent communication, adaptation, alignment with a common vision, and celebration of success in achieving specific project and broader organizational objectives
- Human Resource Management: Working closely with CEO, to oversee select human resources activities.
- Strategic Operations and Administration: Provide support to the CEO in the area of forward work planning, strategic financial management, budgetary analysis and reporting
- Audit, Compliance and Internal Controls: Ensure all renditions, audits and statutory compliance are carried out on time, in line with regulations and compliance requirements. Prepare compliance reports for the Board and the CEO as required.
- Management Accounting: Set up and continue to improve effective management accounting systems and processes
- Management of Information Technology (IT): Oversees, and ensures effective use of, Information Technology systems to support organizational business processes, including document management, client relationships management (CRM), and event support. Leverages Information Technology to support core business initiatives. Establishes and maintains budget/cost management for (IT)
- Investment Management: Undertake the management of NPPC assets and securities, including tracking investment performance and providing financial statement analysis to the Board and the CEO
- Property Management: Manages NPPC owned property, working on lease use and process, as well as NPPC rental space.
Other Responsibilities: Take on other assignments and projects which may be outside of primary issue area as needed. Other duties as assigned by the CEO.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization’s fiscal standing and performance.
- Develop credibility for the organization by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends
- Continual improvement of the budgeting process through education of department managers on financial issues impacting department budgets
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the organization; i.e., evaluation of funds and investments
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs
- Studies long-range economic trends and projects their impact on future growth
- Collaborates with executive leadership, and departments, to develop and meet company goals while supplying expertise and guidance on operations projects and systems
- Identifies, recommends, and implements new processes, technologies, and systems to improve and streamline organizational processes and use of resources and materials
- Ensures that organizational decisions and plans for staffing, development, organization, material efficiency, hardware acquisitions, and facilities are in line with the organizations strategic plan and vision
- Establishes, communicates, and implements operations-related policies, practices, and standards to ensure effective and consistent support and execution
- Presents periodic performance reports and metrics to the chief executive officer and other leadership
- Identifies training needs and ensures proper training is developed and provided
- Manages Human Resources to implement and refine company policies and procedures
- Assist in the development of objectives and key performance indicators for benchmarking, analyzing and planning.
- Monitor departments and personnel performance against expectations and goals to ensure progress is being made, and if necessary, develop remediation plans to bridge any gaps
- Actively engage all parts of the organization to monitor progress towards goals and evaluate additional opportunities
- Engage in continuous efforts to optimize organizational effectiveness and investor satisfaction through improved operations and efficiencies, employee training and engagement, technological or business opportunities, etc.
- Strong accounting, audit, financial management and financial analysis skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong managerial and leadership skills with ability to manage and develop high-performing teams
- Ability to prioritize workload and function effectively within and outside the office in a cross-cultural, interdisciplinary environment
- Ability to work under pressure to complete multiple tasks, meet demands and deadlines with a positive, constructive attitude
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters and respond as required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel; familiarity with Dynamics GP accounting software desirable
- Ability to manage a heavy workload and perform effectively managing numerous significant responsibilities and challenges with competing priorities
- Background in strategy and business planning with the proven ability to develop and manage business plans, processes and controls to enhance efficiencies and mitigate risk
- Demonstrate proven ability in organizational development, information technology, business transformation, project management, asset and property management
- Background in and working knowledge of computerized management information systems
Supervisory Responsibility: This position will have direct supervision responsibility.
Travel: This position requires up to 40% travel.
Required Education and Experience: First degree from a recognized university in finance, accounting, or business administration, with CPA certification. With at least 15 years of progressively evolving management and team leadership in a service-oriented organization, international and/or non-profit experience preferred.
Location: The position is based out of NPPC Urbandale, IA office and is not eligible for remote work.
Chief Finance & Operations Officer