Manager of State Pork Industry Relations
Title of Position: Manager of State Pork Industry Relations
Supervisor’s Title: NPPC Vice President of State and National Relations, Cody McKinley (NPB – Chelsey Van Genderen, as well as a State CEO)
The Manager of Pork Industry Relations will participate in the Pork Industry Leadership Development Program and complete a two-year experience that accelerates the development of early career talent and produces a pipeline of leaders ready to meet the demands and challenges at pork associations. This immersion experience provides hands-on opportunities, network development and exposure to all facets of pork industry associations.
The program will include three module rotations at the following organizations:
- National Pork Board (NPB) focusing on research, education, and promotion
- National Pork Producers Council (NPPC) focusing on policy development and grassroots engagement
- A state pork association focusing on the application of research, education, promotion, policy and grassroots at the state and producer level
Each module will be eight months in length and will require relocation to the respective organization’s location.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Elevate targeted grassroots efforts in coordination with NPB, NPPC and state pork associations
- Effectively build and provide relationship management
- Develop and execute strategic communication plans to aid with advancing issues and programs
- Provide producer insight to coordinating organizations
- Develop strategic relations with various stakeholders throughout the pork industry
- Effectively and efficiently communicate with various audiences and platforms
- Attend and speak at producer and state organization meetings, state trade shows, and appropriate committee meetings
- Implement organizational leadership including participation and coordination with Board members and committees
- Assist and understand association management and human resources management
- Aid in annual budget process
- Facilitate project implementation and execution around key initiatives
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor(s). (Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.)
Qualifications: Requires a strong aptitude for leadership and relationship skills and communication techniques; the ability to motivate and influence different segments to a common purpose; strong oral and written communication skills. Requires utilization of advocacy software programs and digital strategies. Good organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects at one time with the ability to make sound decisions, as job responsibilities require. Must be able to work well with others and open to change. Must be willing to relocate throughout the two-year program. An understanding of agriculture is also relevant.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture Business, Animal Science, Agricultural Studies, Business, Communications, Marketing, Political Science or related applicable degree
- Or two to five years of professional / industry experience
Travel: Requires extensive travel (50%). Must have a valid driver’s license and passport.
Program includes three modules. Time will be spent in Des Moines, Iowa, Washington, DC and a state pork association yet to be determined. Relocation will be required for the modules.
Education and/or Experience: Equivalent of a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university. Preference for Agriculture Business, Animal Science, Agricultural Studies, Business, Communications, Marketing, Political Science or related applicable degree.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: Requires light physical effort such as stooping and bending, and occasional lifting of lightweight objects (up 35 pounds).
- National Pork Board – Clive, Iowa
- National Pork Producers Council – Iowa Office, Urbandale, Iowa
- National Pork Producers Council – DC Office, Washington, DC
- A state pork association – location to be determined
Manager of State Pork Industry Relations